[ietf-clear] more on no callbacks, please

2004-10-04 06:59:09
On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 04:10:31 -0700, James Couzens wrote:
 DNS is bloated with feature creep especially BIND9.

BIND is software.  DNS is a protocol specification and a global
service.  If you are concerned about "feature creep" for the DNS
service, what are examples?

And
 given BIND's security record I most certainly hope you aren't
 referring to it.  I'm not dead set against a callback
 mechanism used in DNS, however, that would be my last resort.
  I have already authored the code to facilitate the callbacks
 via UDP and I'll attempt to spend some time to add TCP this
 week.

The concern that was raised was about adoption -- deployment and
operation -- barriers, not about protocol specification
differences.

There is a long and painful history that shows an enormous amount
of resistance to new infrastructure services.

d/
--
Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking