Re: [ietf-dkim] over-the-wire (in)compatibility between pre-IETFDKIM and (eventual) IETF DKIM

2005-10-21 14:48:38

----- Original Message -----
From: "Andrew Newton" <andy(_at_)hxr(_dot_)us>
To: <dcrocker(_at_)bbiw(_dot_)net>

On Oct 21, 2005, at 3:51 PM, Dave Crocker wrote:

On the other hand, doing more work takes more time.  More time
means more delay getting more adoption.

If you are characterizing any change as more work, then you are
arguing for a rubber stamp.

In fact I have been getting a sense of some folks delaying adoption
until the IETF standard is produced.

All the more reason that we deliver something thought out and not
insist upon kludges for the sake of backwards compatibility.

Andrew, I agree with your comments here.  The whole issue of backward
compatibility and legacy support has put a major damper on SMTP based Email
Security R&D.  This is perfectly understandable because we have 20 years of
world wide standard SMTP legacy operations.   Such is not the case with DKIM
or DK. There is no global standard.  We don't often get an opportunity like
we have now with DKIM to revamp industry. The interest is high because the
problem is real.  If we blew it with DKIM because of this extremely low
adoption non-standard legacy issue, we might not get another opportunity
until the next new completely different promising idea is proposed and in my
view, we kind of running of out available ideas to augment SMTP, you know
what I mean?