Re: [ietf-dkim] SSP acceptance chart

2005-11-05 17:05:25

On Nov 5, 2005, at 2:32 PM, Hector Santos wrote:

In my view, DKIM is essentially protecting the email message transport
system.

But its not. It is protecting the domain. I can test everything about DKIM outside a transport system. I don't need SMTP to work it. It has nothing to
do with 2821 parameters and I believe the closet property to a 2821
parameter is if a 2822.Sender header is included in the signature.

The signature verifies that the _message_ is associated with a domain. This association does not require that an email-address within the message contain this domain. The signing-domain is unrelated to RFC2822 beyond being contained within a header and verifying message content. Coupling DKIM with a domain assertion in the EHLO verification allows a means to protect the transport from being hijacked with a routing attack. This also provides a means to fend-off a DoS attack in the midst of these types of attacks without needing to block innocent domains. : )

See: 14. Domain Assertions for Signatures
http://www.sonic.net/~dougotis/id/draft-otis-mass- reputation-03.html#anchor14

Attempts to force or coerce a blinding with the email message transport system breaks many applications. A strong method to verify the domain associated with the transport provides great value, especially when an opaque-identifier is included. : )

-Doug