Re: [ietf-dkim] Change the SSP o= to use words, break out 3rd party?

2005-11-08 17:59:38

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tony Hansen" <tony(_at_)att(_dot_)com>
To: "IETF DKIM WG" <ietf-dkim(_at_)mipassoc(_dot_)org>
Sent: Tuesday, November 08, 2005 2:10 AM
Subject: Re: [ietf-dkim] Change the SSP o= to use words, break out 3rd
party?

Throwing ^/user in the column with sending mail, and removing the
combinations I think should probably be disallowed, you have the
following table of possible policies:

  sending mail signature 3rd party current

1 allowed unspecified unspecified NONE
2 allowed never never
3 allowed never allowed
4 allowed optional never ?/WEAK
5 allowed optional allowed ~/NEUTRAL
6 allowed always never !/EXCLUSIVE
7 allowed always allowed -/STRONG
8 never ./NEVER
9 user ^/USER

I think based on people's concern for restrictive policies, we might need
additional for OA that helps define the 3PS policy.

For 3PS, we have Never, Allowed (optional).  I think we might need a APPEND,
RESIGN and IGNORE policy in there.

This will help alleviate issues where an OA EXCLUSIVE policy is used on
extermal mail services.

So something like (using your notation)

signature=always, 3PS=IGNORE  -- Keep Original, don't strip, resign
signature=always, 3PS=APPEND  -- Append, don't strip or replace.
signature=always, 3PS=RESIGN  -- strip and replace.

I'm just winging it, but the idea is to keep restrictive policies flowing
when it goes thru a mail service.