Re: [ietf-dkim] Change the SSP o= to use words, break out 3rd party?

2005-11-08 00:14:47
We might want to recognize the three orthogonal axes currently covered
by the policy character: sending mail, signatures, and 3rd party
signing. There is also the meta policy of ^/user, which redirects the
search to a different level.

On the sending mail axis you have the range of values of never and allowed.

On the signature axis you have the range of values of unspecified,
never, optional and always/required.

On the 3rd party signing axis we currently have the range of values of
unspecified, never, and allowed.

The current policy character merges all three axes into a single value.

Of course, some combinations are not allowable (e.g., never send +
anything else), and some are implicit rather than explicit (e.g.,
unspecified).

Throwing ^/user in the column with sending mail, and removing the
combinations I think should probably be disallowed, you have the
following table of possible policies:

        sending mail    signature       3rd party       current

1       allowed         unspecified     unspecified     NONE
2       allowed         never           never
3       allowed         never           allowed
4       allowed         optional        never           ?/WEAK
5       allowed         optional        allowed         ~/NEUTRAL
6       allowed         always          never           !/EXCLUSIVE
7       allowed         always          allowed         -/STRONG
8       never                                           ./NEVER
9       user                                            ^/USER

#1 is implicit with no policy record.

We could continue to extend the single word names for the different
policy combinations, or we could use a syntax that allowed you to
specify each value separately. A couple possible syntaxes might be

2       -signature,-3ps         signature=never,3ps=never
3       -signature,+3ps         signature=never,3ps=allowed
4       ~signature,-3ps         signature=optional,3ps=never
5       ~signature,+3ps         signature=optional,3ps=allowed
6       +signature,-3ps         signature=always,3ps=never
7       +signature,+3ps         signature=always,3ps=allowed
8       nomail                  nomail
9       user                    checkuser

These are some things to think about if we choose to keep SSP.

        Tony Hansen
        tony(_at_)att(_dot_)com