Re: [ietf-dkim] DKIM charter

2005-11-15 22:11:53

I'm generally comfortable with this charter, but not really with this.
"necessary for the success of the specifications" seems like a very
high bar to clear. While I appreciate that there's a desire by many members
of the WG to avoid making incompatible changes (hence this language),
to the extent to which that desire reflects consensus, those
changes won't be made anyway. I don't believe it's appropriate to
rule discussion of changes which might be important but not
"necesssary" out of scope in the charter.

Eric,

The logic of "to the extent to which that desire reflects consensus, those changes won't be made anyway" leads directly to having no charter at all. It says that consensus-of-the-moment is the only concern and I suspect that that is not what you mean.

Whether to preserve previous work -- and how much of it to preserve -- is a very basic decision, when previous work is handed over to the IETF. There have been TWO, extensive rounds of discussion and consensus on the current set of words, on the open mailing list.

You are correct that the current wording specifies a high bar. That is entirely intentional. This is version 3 (or 4, depending how you count) of this work, with quite a bit of current email using existing work. (Small number of installations, but some of them are very high volume.)

Further, your objection to the current language appears to be entirely theoretical, since you are not putting forward any specific work that you feel is "important" but would not rise to the level of "necessary for the success of the specifications".

d/
--

Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking