Re: [ietf-dkim] DKIM charter

2005-11-15 22:19:06
Eric,

Yes, I appreciate that it's intentional. And indeed, communities
very often want things to remain unchanged when they bring them
to IETF. I'm saying that it's not appropriate to nail that down
in the charter.

I'm sorry. I think you missed my point about the consensus on the charter wording being the result of TWO rounds of discussion on the open, IETF-related mailing list.

So the issue does not warrant marginalization as merely being due to the original constituency.

Further, your objection to the current language appears to be entirely
theoretical, since you are not putting forward any specific work that
you feel is "important" but would not rise to the level of "necessary
for the success of the specifications".

That's not a safe conclusion to draw. It's simply that the procedure question is what's appropriate during the discussion
of the charter.

My point is that you need to justify changing the wording based on demonstrable need (that develops consensus) rather than on abstract principle,. Any of the possible choices for permitting or prohibiting incompatibility might have a reasonable basis.

Since the current wording has gone through extensive discussion, the burden of effecting change is usually on the person requesting it.

d/

--

Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking