Re: [ietf-dkim] Suggested alternate algorithm specification language, for now

2006-02-22 14:19:43

----- Original Message -----
From: "Arvel Hathcock" <arvel(_dot_)hathcock(_at_)altn(_dot_)com>
To: <ietf-dkim(_at_)mipassoc(_dot_)org>

would it?  So, I agree with Tony and don't see a particular problem
with adopting Dave's language even though it doesn't have a MUST
for signers.

Isn't the MUST implicit by virtue of the requirements on the verifier
coupled with the assumption that the author of the signing software
desires to create something that's useful?  Am I missing the point here?

Yes, I think the MUST is implicit:

   Signer SHOULD use SHA-256.  If not, signer MUST use SHA1.

Since there seems to lack of confidence that no SHA based algorithm would be
secured enough for certain domains (in the future), that is why I suggest
the specs should indicate instead:

   Signer SHOULD use the highest security possible.

Howewver, unless we use a "receiver" capability logic to allow for growth,
the specs will need to define which current algorithms are considered
possible choices to select from.