Re: [ietf-dkim] Suggested alternate algorithm specification language, for now

2006-02-22 14:21:48
I was reminded that Dave actually had suggested wording changes for two
places in the spec. I was referring to both.

        Tony Hansen
        tony(_at_)att(_dot_)com

Tony Hansen wrote:
I vote for Dave's language to be added to ietf-dkim-base.

      Tony

Dave Crocker wrote:
Folks,

DKIM's base spec already has a mechanism that supports alternate
algorithms.

Are there any changes to the mechanism that anyone is suggesting?
No, we're still on MUSTs and SHOULDs for which ones.
As I understand the current situation, there are only two candidate
algorithms being discussed, SHA-1 and SHA-256.  There is also the
question of an alternative to SHA-256.  The security community's
assessment of a preferred longer-term choice is underway and will,
someday, converge in some formal way.

Until then, we need language in the DKIM specification that a) deals
with the concerns about SHA-1 at least by allowing specification of
alternative algorithms, and b) cites at least one other "preferred"
algorithm in some fashion.  Again, at the moment, I've only seen SHA-256
as the candidate.

We already have satisfied a), with the algorithm-choice mechanism.

As Ned's note this morning has reminded us all:  The key to
interoperability is defining a core of requirements that everyone must
satisfy.

(My unkind response to anyone suggesting that we not satisfy this basic
requirement is that the IETF is the wrong forum for the work, and they
need to move to some environment like OSI community had, since it
enjoyed creating non-interoperable specifications.)

In the case of DKIM, I believe that specifying what a *validator* MUST
support is all that is essential to ensure interoperability.

That is, if we say that a validator MUST support SHA-1 and SHA-256, we
have solved the interoperability problem.  A signer that chooses any
other algorithm risks non-interoperability.  They are free to go down
that path, but they had better have some basis for the choice.

In other words, we are trying to juggle two different requirements:
interoperability and security.  The problem is that the latter one is a
bit fuzzy at the moment. *Better still is that this working group can't
resolve it.*

As I say, defining what the validator MUST support solves our
requirement to ensure an interoperable base.

If we say that a signer SHOULD use SHA-256, then I think we have solved
the security-strength concerns, for the moment.

If the security community converges on a different preference, prior to
our WG Last Call for the base, then we can plug in something other than
SHA-256.  It's a minor change.

However I think the model for the spec language is clear:

   A validator MUST support {SHA-1, SHA-256}.

   A signer SHOULD use {SHA-256}.

We can, of course, add discussion about the trade-offs.  This might lead
to the somewhat unusual alternative for signer language, along the lines
of:

   A signer MAY use {SHA-1} for its lower overhead, in spite of
potentially reduced security strength.  A signer SHOULD use {SHA-256}
for its higher security strength.

Ok, folks.  What have I missed?

d/