Re: [ietf-dkim] ABNF: Sender = Originator / Operator

2006-03-10 09:14:52

Bill(_dot_)Oxley(_at_)cox(_dot_)com wrote:
Delineate original responsibility of who wrote the message (Author) from
a more responsible party who allowed the author to access the outside
world (Originator) vs a diminished responsibility of who passes the
message along, (Operator)

"more responsible".  I don't understand.

I do understand the interest in stopping the abuse at its source network. But that makes the entity of interest a particular Operator, rather than somehow being fundamentally different that all other Operators.

That is (using the original terminology I proposed) the Originator's Operator carries some extra leverage, presuming posting authentication.

However, any Operator in the sequence could enforce limitations.

d/

ps. To the extent that folks decide we do need a special term for the first Operator, the word Originator will be confusing, given a) it's history, and b) it's likely intuitive meaning to folks. If you ask a random person who the Originator of a message is, I suspect they will refer to the author.

--

Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking