Re: [ietf-dkim] New issue: DKIM and mailiing lists

2006-03-14 18:59:37
Dave says...
So if this is going to be on the agenda, I suggest that it be specific questions or problems, with specific suggestions for specific resolutions.

Agreed... see below.

Mike says...
And at this point, I really think what we need is data far more
than we need conjecture. I'm in the beginning process of getting
more data on this subject in our deployment, but don't yet have
any meaningful numbers. Hopefully within the next few months though.

That sounds good. I think some good data will be a good starting point, and I appreciate that Mike's working on providing some. Thanks.

As I interpret the discussion that we've had with Russ, and the requirement for mailing-list consideration that was added to the charter as a result of concerns from the Vancouver BOF, I believe that an analysis of the mailing-list issues is a prerequisite to having the base spec approved as an RFC (that is, it's not something we can do later).

I suggest -- and I haven't discussed this with Stephen, so, Stephen, pipe up if you disagree -- that we get a small group (up to three, I think) of participants who are concerned about this and who have appropriate experience, and work up an Internet Draft discussing the mailing-list issues. That draft would either be merged with the base spec before the latter goes to the IESG, or would be sent at the same time, as a companion document.

Thoughts?

Barry

--
Barry Leiba, Pervasive Computing Technology
(leiba(_at_)watson(_dot_)ibm(_dot_)com)