Re: [ietf-dkim] Concerns about DKIM and mailiing lists

2006-03-14 21:30:53
Massively different is overstatement of how mail lists work. For almost
all mail lists the message would have the same message text body with
potentially small additional mail-list footer and potentially change in
a subject and several new mail-list identification header fields and
what is important is that it will retain the same author info (from
field) and same message-id so it would not really be a new message.

I think that if you look at the overall world of list mail as opposed
to the old-fashioned lists that we nerds like, that's not true.  As
I've noted before, Yahoo Groups, the largest list host in the world,
does all sorts of exciting things to mail that passes through,
including editing ads into the HTML code of text/html and
multipart/alternative messages.  The list software I use, majordomo2,
routinely smashes HTML mail down to plain text, filters out MIME
parts, and otherwise rewrites mail in ways that no signature could
possibly survive.

Some signatures will survive some list software, some, probably most,
won't.  That's life, we can deal with it.  As I've said before, as far
as DKIM is concerned, a list is just an example of a mail forwarder.

R's,
John