Re: [ietf-dkim] Concerns about DKIM and mailiing lists

2006-03-14 21:50:37

John Levine wrote:
Massively different is overstatement of how mail lists work. For almost
all mail lists the message would have the same message text body with potentially small additional mail-list footer and potentially change in
I think that if you look at the overall world of list mail as opposed
to the old-fashioned lists that we nerds like, that's not true.  As
I've noted before, Yahoo Groups, the largest list host in the world,
does all sorts of exciting things to mail that passes through,

The meta-issue, here, is what a current batch of mailing list software systems might do, versus what mailings are allowed to do.

There is no specification that restricts what lists are allowed to do.

As lists attempt to facilitate more interesting types of group collaboration, for example, output that is a highly structured and varied formulation of messages that come in are not unreasonable to envision.

The danger of making design decisions based on a current batch is that the next, innovative list will break the signatures. If we think that's ok, then fine. If we think we are making something that will be robust against all legitimate list behavior styles, then we are definitely *not* fine.

d/
--

Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking