Re: [ietf-dkim] Concerns about DKIM and mailiing lists

2006-03-15 09:20:01
There is no specification that restricts what lists are allowed to do.

There will, however, be restrictions on who and how a domain's
name in origination addresses can be used soon enough. That is the basic
conflict.

If you are planning on setting rules for lists about what they can do with
the mail that people send them, you might want to drop by Wikipedia and
read about the legend of King Canute.

I can just barely see some utility in SSP insofar as it describes a
domain's own policy, e.g., this domain signs all its mail or this domain
sends no mail.  As soon as it purports to control the activities of other
people, e.g., nobody can sign my mail but me, it leaps into the realm of
the unimplementable.

That assumes that mailing list software's perogatives trump all. They
don't.

Of course they do.  I run majordomo2, I like it just the way it is, and I
expect to run its output through my MTA that puts my domain's signature on
all its outgoing mail.  How exactly do you propose to make me do something
else?  (Hint: RFCs are suggestions, not commands.)  What will happen to me
if I don't?

The object here is to reach an accommodation between these two competing
needs. But if I had to say who ought to lose push come to shove, it
would be mailing list software that insists on changing my original
content and then trying to pass it off as if I wrote it.

Putting on my list owner hat, I would point out that if you don't like
what a list does to your mail, you are free not to send mail to it.  I
would be amazed if any list operators felt otherwise.

Regards,
John Levine, johnl(_at_)iecc(_dot_)com, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet
for Dummies",
Information Superhighwayman wanna-be, http://www.johnlevine.com, Mayor
"More Wiener schnitzel, please", said Tom, revealingly.

PS: Was it you who put [ietf-dkim] in the subject line?