Re: [ietf-dkim] Concerns about DKIM and mailiing lists

2006-03-15 12:28:56

On Mar 15, 2006, at 7:58 AM, Michael Thomas wrote:

With DKIM, they will be in "violation" of an Internet standard insofar as they corrupt a legitimately signed piece of email, and preserve the From: address. To a receiver, there is absolutely no difference between that case and the case that we'd like to guard against, namely spoofing of From: addresses.

I agree with Dave Crocker. Guarding the From: address is not the goal, as such would be futile for many reasons not fully detailed in the threat document. The DKIM signature provides a strong indication who provided the content of the message. While the signature may encompass various header fields, anti-phishing efforts MUST NOT depend upon the From address being spoofed or not. Internal to Cisco, messages are being marked. Such a strategy does not require the world change in an effort to conform to unrealistic SSP requirements. Don't break email.

-Doug