Re: [ietf-dkim] Concerns about DKIM and mailiing lists

2006-03-15 09:06:08

And, in fact, many subscribers insist on that modification, even though they could filter on headers such as List-ID instead.

They could filter on it, but only when it is present and when the subscriber knows it is present.

Unfortunately, adoption of the List-* standard is pretty erratic and I suspect that most users don't know about these header fields at all, unless their mail client has features that use them. Most don't.

Even for clients that implement the List-* construct, creating user filters that are based on the List-ID field requires quite a bit of sophistication.

One note here: the base spec COULD suggest that if the signature fails to verify and the subject is signed and begins with "[", that the verifier might retry after removing the "[xxx]" part. And then, much as with that part of the message that comes after the signed length, the verifier must decide what to do if the retry succeeds.

Not only would that be building a heuristic into the validation portion of an otherwise precise security specification, it would be basing the heuristic on an undocumented convention that is far from universal, rather than on a a formal standard.

But in the worst case, the list has simply invalidated the signature, and we say that this SHOULD be considered equivalent to no signature at all. Absent SSP, this is no bad thing.

I am inclined to agree. However the [] behavior is rather common. So we probably should consider whether it is reasonable to have DKIM contain features that are intended to allow a signature survive mailing list transit, when we know that the final result will usually fail.

d/

--

Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking