Re: [ietf-dkim] Concerns about DKIM and mailiing lists, etc.

2006-03-15 23:28:45
On 03/16/2006 00:35, Dave Crocker wrote:
This database that you insist is necessary for DKIM to be useful is
pretty well by definition a reputation system.  So, if as you say a DKIM
signature has no value without a reputation system of some limited kind
and reputation is out of bounds, I guess I don't understand what you
think we are doing here?

creating an infrastructure.

Unless one is in the business of selling infrastructure I don't know that it
has any vlaue in it's own right.

(well, dkim also creates a bit of accountability, by my own view is that it
does not mean much without an assessment component, too.  but as John
Levine noted, it can be a small, internal table of well-known
correspondents.)

OK, so absent a reputation system it creates a bit of accountability then?

if you think dkim has larger value, on its own, please explain.

In the long run, I don't know.  In the short run, as I've said before, I think
the primary value is in highly phished domains using a restrictive SSP.  That
gives me leverage to reject 'bad' messages.  We've discussed this before, so
there's no need for yet another round of pointless fingerpointing on the
value of SSP.

I was just curious since you seemed to have a very limited view of the value
of DKIM without reputation.

BTW, I'm about to drop off line for a while, so don't read anything into lack
of responses for a bit.  If it's still relevant when I get back, I'll reply
then.

Scott K