Re: [ietf-dkim] Concerns about DKIM and mailiing lists, etc.

2006-03-16 00:27:34

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dave Crocker" <dhc(_at_)dcrocker(_dot_)net>
To: "Scott Kitterman" <ietf-dkim(_at_)kitterman(_dot_)com>

So, if as you say a DKIM signature has no value without
a reputation system of some limited kind and reputation
is out of bounds, I guess I don't understand what you think
we are doing here?

creating an infrastructure.

DKIM is part of a new infrastructure, yet this "infrastructure changing"
expensive step has limited value?

What is the point of this excercise?

If you have a larger picture in mind, why don't you explain it to us?

(well, dkim also creates a bit of accountability, by my own view is
that it does not mean much without an assessment component, too.  but
as John Levine noted, it can be a small, internal table of well-known
correspondents.)

if you think dkim has larger value, on its own, please explain.

On its own?

Well, SSP has been diminished so much I agree that DKIM has been reduced to
having very limited value at this point.  I put our DKIM coding budget on
hold!   DKIM sans SSP has limited protection vs. processing time value.

However,  we are now exploring adding FILTER rules using DKIM/DKEY
signatures (sans verification) as part of our scoring to filter out the
purest abusers.

   if DKIM/DKEY record exist
      and no DNS key policy exist, REJECT!

No hash verification (which fails most of the time anyway) required.

If this what you were looking for in a DKIM only environment?

This is something oddly wrong with this incremental design approach that
includes an expensive step with little or no value and in fact, may have a
major detrimental effect on the industry with its early DKIM-only pre-mature
promotion.

Sounds we can just toss DKIM aside and wait until this new reputation
trust-layer in introduced (or re-introduced).  But this can be done
independently anyway, so I am lost as too why  DKIM is needed in the first
place?