Re: [ietf-dkim] Concerns about DKIM and mailiing lists, etc.

2006-03-16 07:38:03
Dave Crocker wrote:

Which handy local list of signers is that? Where do I find Cisco's?

The signature that you are so worried about preserving is only useful if there is some database to consult, about it.

That is flat out wrong. We are right at this moment rolling out our
implementation of DKIM at Cisco. We have no local database. We are
getting utility our of DKIM by insuring our users to some degree
that the From address/domain that they see can or cannot be trusted to
the degree that DKIM makes that trustworthy. Y! and now Gmail from
what I hear are doing the same.

And, as I've raised many times, I do not understand the compulsion to preserve a signature for a message that is re-posted by an automaton user agent, when there is no equivalent expectation of preservation, for a message that is manually re-posted -- such as when I forward a message on to someone else. The architectural role is the same. The semantics are the same.

This is flat out wrong too. When you forward, you change the From:
address. Mailing lists do not. Therein lies the problem: they are
indistinguishable from random spoofers.

                Mike