Re: [ietf-dkim] Draft minutes...

2006-07-12 16:52:53
Resent-* should only be added by MUAs when someone is re-submitting a message back into the MHS. Essentially Resent-From subsumes the role of From when a message is re-submitted (ditto for Resent-Sender and Sender). It's not quite this simple, since an MUA replying to a resent message should still reply back to the original originator, not the resending originator, but that's the basic gist of it.

eric

--On July 12, 2006 4:44:57 PM -0700 Michael Thomas <mike(_at_)mtcc(_dot_)com> wrote:

Eric Allman wrote:

For the same reason From: has to be signed --- they represent the
[fill in blank with your favorite word: author, originator,
whatever]  of the message.  I suppose we can legitimately ask why
From: MUST be  signed though.  In terms of interoperability it is
not required, but  in terms of being useful it seems like it is.

   I'm unclear on Resent-From and Resent-Sender: can they be added
in transit?
   If so, the MUST as worded below will guarantee the signature
won't be valid
   after somebody adds those headers.

   I guess if you're going to make these MUST requirements why
Sender or
   ListID aren't MUST's too. Frankly I think the wording with From,
Subject
   and Date is fine and leave the rest to the disgression of the
signer.