Re: [ietf-dkim] Draft minutes...

2006-07-12 17:04:43
Eric Allman wrote:

Resent-* should only be added by MUAs when someone is re-submitting a message back into the MHS. Essentially Resent-From subsumes the role of From when a message is re-submitted (ditto for Resent-Sender and Sender). It's not quite this simple, since an MUA replying to a resent message should still reply back to the original originator, not the resending originator, but that's the basic gist of it.

The reason I'm pushing back on this is that it's a protocol affecting change as I don't think that I've seen many implementations that *always* add those fields (does Murray's? Mine doesn't by default). The change you're making here would cause a compliant verifier to reject those signatures. Is it really *that* important? Maybe
it's me, but Resent-From and Resent-Sender seem pretty quaint and in their
dotage.

      Mike

eric

--On July 12, 2006 4:44:57 PM -0700 Michael Thomas <mike(_at_)mtcc(_dot_)com>
wrote:

Eric Allman wrote:

For the same reason From: has to be signed --- they represent the
[fill in blank with your favorite word: author, originator,
whatever]  of the message.  I suppose we can legitimately ask why
From: MUST be  signed though.  In terms of interoperability it is
not required, but  in terms of being useful it seems like it is.

   I'm unclear on Resent-From and Resent-Sender: can they be added
in transit?
   If so, the MUST as worded below will guarantee the signature
won't be valid
   after somebody adds those headers.

   I guess if you're going to make these MUST requirements why
Sender or
   ListID aren't MUST's too. Frankly I think the wording with From,
Subject
   and Date is fine and leave the rest to the disgression of the
signer.