[ietf-dkim] RE: 3rd party signing

2006-07-28 09:22:35

"Scenario B is technically possible but makes no sense.  If you have the
ability to sign mail, why wouldn't you sign your own?"
because this is a special purpose domain simply to manage 3rd party
signage, the domain itself will not send any mail. Saying I only sign
3rd party would allow people to regard any purported mail from that
domain with a large degree of suspicion
thanks,

What am I missing here?Bill Oxley
Messaging Engineer
Cox Communications, Inc.
Alpharetta GA
404-847-6397
bill(_dot_)oxley(_at_)cox(_dot_)com

-----Original Message-----
From: John L [mailto:johnl(_at_)iecc(_dot_)com]
Sent: Friday, July 28, 2006 11:55 AM
To: Oxley, Bill (CCI-Atlanta)
Cc: ietf-dkim(_at_)mipassoc(_dot_)org
Subject: Re: 3rd party signing

It may well be true that you only sign third party mail, but I still
don't understand what use a recipient might make of that information.

If they get unwanted mail from someone and you've signed it, they'll
complain to you regardless.

A recipient will then have a valid party to complain to which is
better
than blocking a domain that has been spoofed.

I still don't understand the scenario.  Let's call the domain isp.com.
Is it:

A) No mail has an isp.com From: address, but mail with other From:
addresses may have an isp.com signature.

B) Mail goes out with From: addresses at isp.com, but none of it is
signed.  Mail with other From: addresses may have an isp.com signature.

C) something else.

Scenario A is "we send no mail," with the possibility of third party
signatures on other mail being irrelevant.  Like I said, if you sign it,

you'll get the complaints no matter what your SSP says.

Scenario B is technically possible but makes no sense.  If you have the
ability to sign mail, why wouldn't you sign your own?

What am I missing here?

R's,
John