Re: [ietf-dkim] Responsibility concerns with Designated Signing Domains

2006-08-25 18:51:11
On 2006-08-25 14:48, Jim Fenton wrote:

1. Responsible domains using SSP delegation will not be able to change
signing providers (delegatees) without forfeiting any positive
reputation they have accumulated.  It should really be the delegator's
positive reputation, because they are the ones acting responsibly in
their mailing practices and/or the use of outside mailing providers.  It
should not be necessary to start over if you change ISPs or outbound
marketing providers.

This is how I'm thinking, as well...if senders try to piggyback on somebody else's reputation, I'm likely to ignore that and use other criteria to determine the overall reputation of the message.

The desire from some of the bulk senders & 3rd party reputation vendors appears to be to allow a sender to say "go ask [vendor], they'll tell you how good I am." This is not, however, something that receivers of that mail would necessarily want.

And just from a general cleanliness perspective, I'd rather keep all reputation decisions out of the signing/verifying process.

--
J.D. Falk, Anti-Spam Product Manager
Yahoo! Communications Platform Team