Re: [ietf-dkim] Responsibility concerns with Designated SigningDomains

2006-08-26 09:23:57
Bill(_dot_)Oxley(_at_)cox(_dot_)com wrote:

DKIM has nothing to do with reputation, reputation providers may want to
use DKIM as part of their processing technologies but that is their
issue/point of failure. I want something that allows me to accurately
identify who decided to send me a piece of mail.
What I choose to do with that identification is internal to me as a
receiver. Any negative assertions by the DKIM signer may be helpful for me to
classify the material I have received.
DKIM base provides the ability for you to determine who's handle a message
in transit just by the fact that it accrues signatures from the domains it's passed
through who choose to sign. You don't need anything more to achieve what
you're asking for.

SSP goes beyond that and informs the receiver about the signing domains practices which also allows you to potentially correlate what to expect from the author's domain. Maybe the overall problem here is that we're conflating the information service of SSP and the correlation that a receiver might want educe from that. Maybe we should say that SSP is *only* about the practices information service of the *actual* domain in question. From that standpoint, it doesn't make much sense for that domain to speak
of the practices of other domains -- that's their SSP record's job.

      Mike