RE: [ietf-dkim] Responsibility concerns with Designated SigningDomains

2006-08-25 20:34:20
DKIM has nothing to do with reputation, reputation providers may want to
use DKIM as part of their processing technologies but that is their
issue/point of failure. I want something that allows me to accurately
identify who decided to send me a piece of mail.
What I choose to do with that identification is internal to me as a
receiver.
Any negative assertions by the DKIM signer may be helpful for me to
classify the material I have received.
Thanks,

Bill Oxley
Messaging Engineer
Cox Communications, Inc.
Alpharetta GA
404-847-6397
bill(_dot_)oxley(_at_)cox(_dot_)com

-----Original Message-----
From: ietf-dkim-bounces(_at_)mipassoc(_dot_)org
[mailto:ietf-dkim-bounces(_at_)mipassoc(_dot_)org] On Behalf Of J.D. Falk
Sent: Friday, August 25, 2006 9:43 PM
To: IETF-DKIM
Subject: Re: [ietf-dkim] Responsibility concerns with Designated
SigningDomains

On 2006-08-25 14:48, Jim Fenton wrote:

1. Responsible domains using SSP delegation will not be able to change
signing providers (delegatees) without forfeiting any positive
reputation they have accumulated.  It should really be the delegator's
positive reputation, because they are the ones acting responsibly in
their mailing practices and/or the use of outside mailing providers.
It
should not be necessary to start over if you change ISPs or outbound
marketing providers.

This is how I'm thinking, as well...if senders try to piggyback on
somebody else's reputation, I'm likely to ignore that and use other
criteria to determine the overall reputation of the message.

The desire from some of the bulk senders & 3rd party reputation vendors
appears to be to allow a sender to say "go ask [vendor], they'll tell
you how good I am."  This is not, however, something that receivers of
that mail would necessarily want.

And just from a general cleanliness perspective, I'd rather keep all
reputation decisions out of the signing/verifying process.

--
J.D. Falk, Anti-Spam Product Manager
Yahoo! Communications Platform Team