Re: [ietf-dkim] Re: Responsibility concerns with DesignatedSigning Domains

2006-08-27 09:12:20

----- Original Message -----
From: "Frank Ellermann" <nobody(_at_)xyzzy(_dot_)claranet(_dot_)de>

Maybe I'm only confused.  But apparently we have two groups
here, some interested in "DKIM pure" without SSP, and others
interested in DKIM + SSP.

Yes, but I think overall it comes down to about unrestricted (uncontrolled)
vs. restricted (controlled) 3rd party signatures.  SSP would be the proposed
way to control them.

I believe this was one, if not the main, contention which started with the
terminology I used of "Exclusive" for the o=! SSP-01 in Section 5:

  !  All mail from the entity is signed; Third-Party signatures
     SHOULD NOT be accepted.

I called that "exclusive" policy and the debate and deep division started
over what that really means and the idea of allowing 3rd party signatures
EVEN if you ignore them.

My argument was that the "existence" of a 3PS, even if you ignore it,
possible represents "bad" events that was not expected by the domain.

One school of thought was that if the OA signed his mail, it shouldn't be a
security problem if there were hops who blindly signed as 3rd party
entities.  That was John's main point.

I agreed that as long there is a valid OA signature was present, it should
lower security concerns when you have 3rd party signatures.  But what if the
mail integrity was destroyed and the OA signature is no longer valid?  Is
this security still intact?

This is why I have a problem with the DKIM-BASE logic that says:

    Only one valid signature is required in a multiple
    signature message.

And when you couple this with the other DKIM-BASE mandate:

    Ignore failed signatures

you have a huge spectrum of potential issues when trying to make sense out
of all this.   This opened a security threat where phishers can throw in a
fake OA DKIM-Signature that he knows will fail, but then sign as an
unrestricted 3rd party: