Re: [ietf-dkim] SSP = FAILURE DETECTION

2006-09-09 16:16:00
Doug,

Not everyone will be able to produce a cross the board solution.  Only the
"Microsofts" and the likes will have the capacity to address a consistent
solution across their applications.   Although we are a small company with
one of the oldest and most complete total mail design frameworks in the
market, even I realize we can't do that.  We can make it work for us in an
integrated fashion, but we can't dictate our TOTAL solution will be the
right TOTAL solution for everyone else.  Its unrealistic and it would be
unrealistic for others here who might feel their total solution is right for
us as well.

But what is common with all of us, is the MTA or more specifically x822/x821
internet mail operations.  Reading mail, while there is are standards on the
OFFLINE side with popular methods (POP3, IMAP), there are a multiple MAIL
ACCESS methods which you can't control, online, proprietary, API based,
gateways, etc.

For example, using us, we have the following mail access methods all
controlled using a single source backend system:

    - Console mode (Dialup, Telnet)
    - Browser (WebMail)
    - Online GUI Navigator
    - XML/SOAP API
    - POP3 Email
    - News
    - Sysop Editor (GUI)
    - Reports Manager

And a bunch of 3rd party mail readers.   It would be a mistaken to believe
that x822 is the common format between all of them (for the internet
clients, yes) but not necessary the rest.

The buck really stops at the server side if we really want this to work. A
centralize source.  Your nor my MUA needs should not stop the progress with
implementing DKIM-BASE/SSP solutions at the MTA.

In my opinion, if you have a MUA application in mind, you should concentrate
on how it will communicate with the server side.   I would first concentrate
on reading any results that the MTA produces.  If you intend to sign at the
MUA, then you need to make sure the MSA understands what you are doing too
because if you don't, you can find it overwritten, destroyed or even
removed.

Thanks my opinion.