Re: [ietf-dkim] SSP = FAILURE DETECTION

2006-09-09 12:00:11
On Saturday 09 September 2006 14:10, Wietse Venema wrote:
Scott Kitterman:
Blindly believing DKIM-SSP gives a false sense of security, and
provides criminals with even more convincing ways to rob people.
I really recommend that you read my entire email message.

If you had said that Blindly believing [positive indications from]
DKIM-SSP ... then I would agree 100%.  I do not think that SSP can help
assert anything about the goodness of a message.  I think it's only
utility is in finding some that are definitely bad.

Criminals switch strategy, and use look-alike domains to make their
mail look even more authentic than it does today.

I agree they will switch strategies when one stops working.

I also agree that they will continue to evolve the content to make them look
more authentic than they do today.

It seems to me you may be saying that a look-alike domain can be made to look
more authentic than the actual domain.  Is that right?  If so, I'd like to
understand that.

If this is how SSP stops phishing mail, we have achieved nothing.

I wouldn't call it nothing, but I guess that's a matter of opinion.  I don't
know what else it could accomplish.

I would call forcing phishers to switch from exact domains to look-alikes
progress.

Scott K