Re: [ietf-dkim] ISSUE: Better definition of "DKIM signing complete"required

2006-11-24 09:05:50
On Fri, 24 Nov 2006 11:57:01 -0000, Hector Santos <hsantos(_at_)santronics(_dot_)com> wrote:

----- Original Message ----- From: "Charles Lindsey" <chl(_at_)clerew(_dot_)man(_dot_)ac(_dot_)uk>
To: "DKIM" <ietf-dkim(_at_)mipassoc(_dot_)org>
Sent: Friday, November 24, 2006 6:02 AM
Subject: Re: [ietf-dkim] ISSUE: Better definition of "DKIM signing complete"required

On Fri, 24 Nov 2006 00:07:06 -0000, Hector Santos <hsantos(_at_)santronics(_dot_)com>
wrote:

But this suggest that you have a DKIM-NNTP based protocol...

It suggests no such thing. Read what I wrote and respond to that, and not to some strawman of your own invention.

Excuse me? You are the one that doesn't want t be left out in the News/Email Gateway world. But what about the ral news protocol world - called NNTP. You can't have it both ways. I don't about your Software Designs but in our News/Email Software design, you need NNTP in order to gate.

No you don't. You likely need NNTP in an Email2News gateway, but for a News2Email gateway you have just somehow acquired the article (who cares whether it arrived by NNTP or not - for sure it was not DKIM-signed), and your problem is to construct a valid, DKIM-proof Email out of it.

Unfortunately, the world is already way beyond 1 to 1 EMAIL.

You're kidding?  Private mail is obsolete?

No. But a lot of Email is NOT private (this List for a start).

But Charles, NEWS/EMAIL gateways goes both ways. Your design would have to work in both directions.

No it wouldn't. There are Email2News Gateways, and there are News2Email gateways, and there are some which try to do both (and doing bidirectional gatewaying 100% safely is an unsolved - and probably unsoluble - problem).

 ...     If you post via NEWS you are
talking about GATING to a EMAIL system. What are the rules here? Do you hash the NNTP required headers? Do you strip them? And vice a versa? Same issues.

That is exactly the question this thread is attempting to address. There is no question, at the moment, of requiring hashing of anything sent by NNTP. The best suggestion so far is that the News2Mail gateway should treat it as a resend and add the proper Resent-* headers. And if someone can convince me that would solve the problem, then I can try and get that written into the upcoming News protocol standard.

The problem does not arise until someone far away gates that news article back into email, at which point its lack of a DKIM signature suddenly gets noticed. ...

I am not sure I follow but this is exactly one of the protections I want - I don't want someone using my domain in such areas

And how, precisely, do you propose to prevent it?

IMV, we should stop trying to mix EMAIL vs NEWS - two different things.

Sorry, that horse bolted through the open stable door 15 years ago. You just admitted that your own company writes software to do such gatewaying.

Tel: +44 161 436 6131     Web: http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~chl
Email: chl(_at_)clerew(_dot_)man(_dot_)ac(_dot_)uk      Snail: 5 Clerewood Ave, CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.