Re: [ietf-dkim] ISSUE: Better definition of "DKIM signing complete" required

2006-11-24 09:38:53
First, I see nothing wrong with someone writing a draft for netnews, but this is well beyond this group's scope, IMHO. There are many types of mail systems, and they all may require some transformations and some special treatment.

Charles Lindsey wrote:
We don't want the mailing list admin to reject is as being unsigned. Maybe the gateway should have signed it (quite a good edea that, and then the SSP and reputation of the gateway would come into play). But is that sufficient to cover for the lack of a signature by foo.example?
I wonder how much of a real world example this really would be. I think as a mailing list administrator I'd be quite offended that someone attempted to gateway in a newsgroup without my permission. If such gatewaying had my permission, then I could decide to accept such gatewaying and then choose to ignore the fact that there is no DKIM header.

A more likely case would be where some organization is doing the gatewaying to and from a LOCAL newsgroup. In such cases, it makes perfect sense for that gateway to consider signing the message on its way into email. And it should because it is going to monkey with some headers that might be previously signed, such as Article-Id and Newsgroups. What's more, NNTP is 8 bit clean (always has been), so you may well have to do some monkeying already.

Eliot