Re: [Fwd: Re: [ietf-dkim] canonicalized null body and dkim]

2006-12-20 05:33:55
After creating the canonicalized form, no matter how that form winds up,
the l= value is applied directly AFTER the canonicalization.

That is,

12345678<CRLF>
12345678<CRLF>
12345678<CRLF>
12345678<CRLF>
12345678<CRLF>
<CRLF>

is canonicalized into:

12345678<CRLF>
12345678<CRLF>
12345678<CRLF>
12345678<CRLF>
12345678<CRLF>

and l=45 turns this into:

12345678<CRLF>
12345678<CRLF>
12345678<CRLF>
12345678<CRLF>
12345

        Tony Hansen
        tony(_at_)att(_dot_)com

Hector Santos wrote:
Tony Hansen wrote:
Stephen Farrell wrote:
Ok, so we've this and we've that. Who's volunteering to
craft new text for the document?

I did so in my original note in this thread.

I guess what I am not sure about is whether a final <CRLF> is always
required in the SIMPLE c14n method.

If so, then the minimum is always l=2.

But consider when l > 2, does this still mean the ending 2 bytes for the
L amount is <CRLF>?

What if the actual text is larger than L?

Example:

12345678<CRLF>
12345678<CRLF>
12345678<CRLF>
12345678<CRLF>
12345678<CRLF>
<CRLF>

here you have 52 bytes.  I believe canonicalized text size is l=50.

But what if the actual L= size defined in the DKIM-Signature: header is
l=45? Is the canonicalized text then?

12345678<CRLF>
12345678<CRLF>
12345678<CRLF>