Re: [Fwd: Re: [ietf-dkim] canonicalized null body and dkim]

2006-12-20 07:32:18
Stephen Farrell wrote:

"The canonical text can be thought of as a virtual representation of the actual input. In particular, a body without any lines (ie, a null body) is canonicalized as a single CRLF, which its canonical length set to 2 (l=2). Note that the canonical length still applies to the canonical text so an input of:

Last-Header:<CRLF>
<CRLF>

No. a) It's creating a "surprise" CRLF when none previously existed. b) It differs from DK for no good reason.

There is a perfectly good reason: some things in the mail path strip trailing CRLF from the body. We've experienced it firsthand and it's not uncommon, and would reduce the survival
rate if changed.
Fair enough. So, given that there is confusion, what's your counter
proposal for clarifying text?

BTW: we're *waaaaaaay* past last call here. This text has been here for time immemorial. All I propose we do is clarify the meaning of what is actually in the draft now surrounding a corner case. I think the bar should be a lot higher for actually changing the text to mean
something that it doesn't currently imply.

      Mike

(BTW - I assume there are only two sensible things to do here, so
we can just get two text proposals and see which achieves rough
consensus.)

S.