Re: [ietf-dkim] Change to Section 6

2007-01-21 05:02:51
Douglas Otis wrote:
On Sat, 2007-01-20 at 13:17 -0500, John L wrote:
Why strengthen a bad statement that attempts to declare DKIM is to be
done only at the MTA?
Nobody's made such a statement. I don't understand the point of spending the group's time arguing about a straw man.

I do not agree at all.

[In particular, deferring verification until the message is accessed by
the end user is discouraged.]

Removing unnecessary language in this statement leaves:

"In particular, verification by the end user is discouraged."

> [snip]

All messages, whether verified by the MTA or not, SHOULD be verified at
the MUA when applying annotations.

You keep saying this but you continue to fail to understand the MUA will typically have no control over any of this. You are assuming one type of MUA, the offline style standalone or applet MUA, such as POP3, IMAP which MAYBE would be interested in the possibility of offering delayed DKIM processing.

But you need to keep in mind (which you obviously won't) we need to deal with online mail clients and quite often, very thin mail clients which could be nothing more than just a simple web browser or telnet client 100% completely controlled by the mail host or backend.

The statement in question, if anything, which applies to the general case offline or online mail clients, simply states:

   "Delayed VERIFICATION is discouraged after reception of a
    signed DKIM message."

This does not stop you or any other ambitious OFFLINE MUA from possibility doing delayed DKIM verification operations.

This problem is solved at the MTA. But there is the delay issue that an OFFLINE system will be confronted with if it has DKIM verification features. The draft proposal:

http://tools.ietf.org/wg/dkim/draft-santos-dkim-rcvd-00.txt

attempts to summarize, highlight the delay verification issue and offers a way to assist the offline MUA. But this is GRAVY because for us, the logic is all in the backend which covers all our MUA devices.

---
HLS