Re: [ietf-dkim] Re: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-dkim-overview-04.txt

2007-03-13 10:57:00
J.D. Falk wrote:
On 2007-03-12 16:51, Hector Santos wrote:

I tend to side with the high probability that blindly signing MAIL in a DKIM-BASE only manner (with no helper support, and I presume you are just against SSP, not other kind of helpers, like DAC or some other yet to be established reputation helper)

Hmm, not sure who you're arguing with here -- can't be me, I'm not against SSP. Never have been. I just don't think it's a good idea to continue telling the world that DKIM isn't ready.

We can probably drive a car with just the frame, engine, wheels, etc but no body yet and get good use of it. You will be exposed to the elements of the world during the process of using it, but its usable. Some people won't care and some people actually like the eating bugs. Some will be excited to have it now. However, I'm sure most people will prefer that there was "added security," "a helper,", "a wrapper," "a blanket," "a body" that helps protects you from the elements.

So is the frame ready? Sure, 100%, it still has its kinks. But is it ready. I don't think anyone disputes that.

But is it ready for public consumption? Has all the engineering been worked out so that its SAFE to be used in the public? Does it present any liability issues? Is an early release better with the risk of creation a wide tertiary market of "different helper" systems in the name of getting exposure and experience with this "frame-" work., or is better to have an augmenting IETF standard helper technology?

--
HLS