Re: [ietf-dkim] RE: I think we can punt the hard stuff as out ofscope.

2007-06-09 11:27:53

On Jun 9, 2007, at 10:48 AM, Hector Santos wrote:

Jeff Macdonald wrote:
On Sat, Jun 09, 2007 at 07:51:51AM -0700, Douglas Otis wrote:
The discovery process itself might provide a solution. For a message to contain a valid email-address, the domain of this address MUST locate either an MX or A record. The DKIM WG could strongly recommend A record discovery be deprecated, and that only MX records be used for discovery. Within a few years, it should be possible to obsolete use of A record discovery. An email-address would not be valid without an MX record. This would mean that policy placement adjacent to the MX record would be the only location any policy record would need to exist. In this case, the discovery process itself indicates whether or not the sub-domain is USED/UNUSED.
Are you referring to the process that some MTAs follow? For example, if
a MTA needs to deliver a message, it is suppose to find a MX for the
right hand side of the email address and deliver it to the eventual A
record (Hector's claim that some MX records return IPs confused me).

I was referring to MX expansion and how each DNS client within a SMTP client may behave. More below.

Some MTAs, when they don't find an MX record, just lookup an A record
instead and deliver to the resulting IP.
If that's the case, shouldn't the deprecating of A lookups when a MX
lookup fails be brought to the SMTP group?

Yup, and IMO, I can almost guaranteed the idea will be killed ASAP. I would vote against it.

I seriously doubt people will begin to screw around with their various retries logic. Plus, you are going to hear those who say MX is about inbound, not outbound and "Never The Twain Shall Meet."

This is not about using MX records as a means to resolve an outbound path. This is only about confirming the domain used in an email- address simply exists. Existence is determined by the mere existence of records used to discover the inbound path for the email-address. This does not require that inbound and outbound servers be one-in-the- same.

"Proof of use" would not require that any IP address match that of the SMTP client, or that the email-address domain associated with an MX also provide an A record, or that an A record actually locate an SMTP server.

-Doug
_______________________________________________ NOTE WELL: This list operates according to http://mipassoc.org/dkim/ietf-list-rules.html