Re: [ietf-dkim] RE: I think we can punt the hard stuff as out ofscope.

2007-06-09 12:44:02
Are you referring to the process that some MTAs follow? For example, if
a MTA needs to deliver a message, it is suppose to find a MX for the
right hand side of the email address and deliver it to the eventual A
record (Hector's claim that some MX records return IPs confused me).

Right. It is true that some misconfigured MX records contain a name that looks like an IP address and is probably intended to be the IP address of the server, but I'm not interested in going down the road of second guessing all the ways that people can screw up their DNS, so we'll ignore that.

Some MTAs, when they don't find an MX record, just lookup an A record
instead and deliver to the resulting IP.

That should be ALL MTAs, since the RFCs have always said that's what you do.

If that's the case, shouldn't the deprecating of A lookups when a MX
lookup fails be brought to the SMTP group?

I'm sure this has come up before, but it's probably worth running by them again. This was intended to be a transitional feature 25 years ago, and given how few legit MTAs are identified by A records, we should try to declare the transition to be over.

R's,
John