Re: [ietf-dkim] RE: I think we can punt the hard stuff as out ofscope.

2007-06-09 15:04:08

On Jun 9, 2007, at 1:51 PM, Hector Santos wrote:

That said, some systems, such as our own, have a one attempt only for the "Implicit MX" rule. i.e. No MX -> A Lookup --> 1 attempt only.

This past week alone we would have electronic mail communications fails with legit customers lacking MX records if this rule was enforced.

I just can't see this happening. I will have to see snow balls falls from these South Florida skies before I would have our SMTP system changed.

The concept is to first deprecate use of A records for discovering inbound SMTP servers. After some period of time, then obsolete the use of A records for this purpose.

Any receiving SMTP wishing to take full advantage of DKIM and any exclusions afforded by DKIM policy will need to:

 - implement DKIM signature verification and,
 - verify use of the domain.

 (Initially this would be by checking for either MX or A records.)

Publishing DKIM policy becomes easier to administer once A record discovery is obsoleted. When DKIM policy is intended to defeat sub- domain spoofing, domains will need to publish policy at every domain level containing an A or MX record. Once A record discovery is obsoleted, then policy would only need publishing adjacent to MX records.

- The alternative is a registry domain list and domain transversal searches. (More work for receiving MTAs) - Publishing policy and wildcarded policy records at _every_ DNS node. (More work for sending MTAs while also risking DNS wildcard related exploits.)

There will not be instant compliance regarding DKIM's policy exclusions of bogus messages. DKIM + Policy alone may remain ineffective as an exclusionary mechanism, regardless of publication methods.

"Proof of use" establishes a basis to exclude much more than just bogus DKIM messages. Why not simplify how "proof of use" can be done efficiently?

-Doug