Re: [ietf-dkim] Re: t=y

2007-11-09 05:39:50

SM wrote:

>> - A testing attribute should used for Migration ideas, by it its very
>> natural definition, a testing attribute is limited in scope and time.
>
> Yes.  But it's not up to the specifications to define the scope
> and time.

It can be open-ended without specifics. The point is, domain risk harm to themselves if they think t=y is going to be marginally viewed, There is high potential for abuse. Extremely easy to do and Murphy's Law says.....

>> I guess if a DOMAIN adds t=y, then it really doesn't care what is
>> the deposition of the message.  After all, its only a test.
>
> "t=y" means that the domain is testing DKIM.  Some domains can run a
> test in a few days and reach a conclusion while others may require
> in-depth testing.  The sender do care about the disposition of the
> message, hence the test.

There you go, you have some form of inherent scope and time.

Personally, I think systems with DKIM today are using it to mean "We are in BETA mode!" because they had the t=y for years now. Which is fine, but RFC4871 is official now. No one should expect it to be *PERPETUAL* fail-safe concept and once, if ever, we get into full production with wider adoption, I don't think it is will be tolerated, again, and I repeat, especially when it *perpetually* fails.

I don't think I can avoid adding logic for a time table for domains with t=y vs the # of failures. Domains with a high failure t=y rate will be pre-empted, trigging a skip process and a "unsigned status." If it continues, the domain will be blocked, and reported to RBL sites - DOMAIN REPUTATION IS HARM UNBENOWST TO THE DOMAIN.

Keep in mind that systems like SPAM ASSASSIN will be taught to watch for such t=y marking. A verifier might just record all this and this weight to the SA heuristics.

In a production environment, it only makes sense for the good primary domain to perform their test quickly and remove that attribute as soon as possible.

--
Sincerely

Hector Santos, CTO
http://www.santronics.com