Re: [ietf-dkim] Re: reductio ad hominem

2007-12-07 10:40:34

On Dec 7, 2007, at 9:20 AM, Scott Kitterman wrote:

On Friday 07 December 2007 12:00, John Levine wrote:
If you believe that any random MTA has an equal right to emit mail
claiming to be from my domain, then I think there's little left to
discuss.

Twisting other people's arguments to make them sound absurd is not helpful.

For example, since you want to forbid all third parties from sending
mail, please explain why you want to forbid newspaper mail-to-a- friend
services.  Why are you opposed to press freedom?

Nothing says they have to use my domain name to do it. It's completely
orthogonal to the point.

PS: The non-absurd version of this is, where did we conclude that the
DNS operator's rights to a domain name always trump every other
possible use?

I disagree. What I stated is the logical conclusion from the statement. Either domain owners have the right to control the use of their domain names
in email or they don't.

If they do, then Mike's point stands.

If they don't, then phishing is inherently OK. There really is no middle
ground.

Fallacy of the excluded middle.

Just because it's OK for people to use some variant on a webmail
interface to send mail "from" their email address does not make it
OK to criminally steal passwords or credit card details.

We're getting a reasonable survey of logical fallacies
today. Entertaining, but not terribly useful, and there's at least a
couple of dozen more to collect to get the full set.

Could we move on to some more reasonable lines of argument?

Cheers,
  Steve