Re: MUA (was RE: [ietf-dkim] Re: ISSUE 1525 -- Restriction to postingby firstAuthor breaks email semantics)

2008-01-16 19:30:16

Michael Thomas wrote:
Dave Crocker wrote:

Michael Thomas wrote:
Dave Crocker wrote:
J D Falk wrote:
Dave Crocker asked:
Bill(_dot_)Oxley(_at_)cox(_dot_)com wrote:
MUA how to reliably display something useful about the above
information
What is the basis for having the MUA as a goal in our work here?

Even if it isn't, we'll need a clearer answer for all the people who
expect it to be.

"DKIM and SSP are for filtering engines, not the recipient's MUA."

The fallacy here is that an MUA and a filtering engine cannot
coexist. Which of course they do all the time.

There is no statement that they cannot co-exist, so it's probably better not to assert that such a statement is false.

The statement is that SSP is intended for processing by a filtering engine and that it has no direct MUA-related intent.

  I'm pretty sure this a game of gotcha, but opposing "filtering

I don't know what you are playing but all I'm trying to do is a) understand what was originally meant and b) make sure we use terminology carefully and describes needs and functions precisely.

  engine" and "MUA" in the above construct implies that they are
  two disjoint categories. They aren't, and thus your construction

Oh. Well they are in fact entirely disjoint, except to the extent that an MUA might contain a filtering engine. I'd be glad to explain the fundamental differences -- they are legion or, at least, considerable.

  falls into the false dilemma fallacy, I'm pretty sure. Also: MUA's and
  their considerations are not outside of our charter, and it's

Yeah, they are. They are not explicitly excluded, in the charter next -- nor are they included -- but they are most certainly outside the competence of this group. And I thought this had been demonstrated sufficiently many times in the past.

To the extent that one more time is needed, feel free to move from the 'concept' of MUAs being relevant to the work and discuss particulars.

  perfectly reasonable to bring up issues that may help MUA developers
  use DKIM and SSP. It's also yet another false dilemma to say that

It is always reasonable to bring up issues that may help any developer. I haven't seen that happening here, but no, it's certainly not excluded. However I'll ask how this is in any way relevant to the original reference, which I'll re-cite, since I suspect most folks have forgotten:

  MUA's are the same thing as their UI's or even worse their human
  interface considerations (which a MUA may or may not even possess).
  It would be helpful to not keep making these errors of composition.

        Mike

--

  Dave Crocker
  Brandenburg InternetWorking