Re: [ietf-dkim] ISSUE 1525 -- Clarification about posting by first Author

2008-01-17 07:46:41
John L wrote:
As I think has been hashed out before, it's utterly impossible to keep people from creating lookalike domains.

And as I think has been hashed out before, if we attempt to boil the ocean, which is what you're suggesting, we will fail.

Actually, all I was going to suggest was that if SSP purports to manage addresses on the From: line, it should manage all of them rather than arbitrarily giving N-1 of them a free pass.

Ah. I see. So you would require N DKIM signatures (where N is the number of domains found)?

because simply SOMEONE taking responsibility for the message mandates the need to establish reputation of that someone

Indeed. Does this mean you agree that SSP only applies to unsigned messages? (Actual non-rhetorical question.)

No, because I make a distinction between just anyone and the person(s) in the From line. I view it as a starting point from which perhaps UI folk can make some headway. I think they'll need to do other things, of course. I agree with you that the display name is what gets shown today, and I'm not certain what to do about it, but we need to be careful not to leave gaping holes.

But all of this being said, you said you were about to propose protecting all addresses in entire From: line. I think that would be a great idea. Why not send text, being mindful that we have to be careful of potential reflection attacks through this mechanism?

Eliot

Eliot