Re: [ietf-dkim] Seriously.

2008-01-21 13:58:23
Dave says...
1. Multiple From addresses are in the RFC2822 standard, folks. The capability was defined in RFC 733 (1977) and has been retained in every iteration up to the current RFC2822 revision work. That means that it has gone through repeated review by the email standards community. Why in the world would it be appropriate for the DKIM working group to debate its legitimacy?

2. While it is certainly useful to prune obsolete constructs, it is dangerous to assume that what a particular segment of the community is familiar with is all that ought to be allowed. Email is a very general-purpose tool for human communications. Human communications is a very, very rich space. Just because on or another person -- or lots of them -- do not use a feature does not mean its use can be ignored or denied.

Yeah. I'm speaking here not as DKIM working group chair, nor as DKIM working group participant, but as a member of the IAB: in that capacity, I would look VERY skeptically at any attempt to say that DKIM doesn't have to support something that's in the RFC2822 standard, on the basis that either (1) "no one uses it" or (2) "it doesn't interoperate well in the first place".

I'm sympathetic to the idea that we'd like not to spend a lot of time on an aspect that's pretty much never going to show up... on a "corner case". But saying that we can ignore that aspect is just not on. I would hope that Lisa or Chris, or both, would send up a DISCUSS if that happened.

Barry