Re: [ietf-dkim] Re: from'less 2822 messages

2008-01-28 13:45:17
Frank Ellermann wrote:
Hector Santos wrote:

+1.

A few days ago you said that more than one From address is irrelevant, and that "resending" old unsigned mails is as irrelevant as the whole concept of "resend", for
your stated POV a "+1" to Ned's concerns is rather odd.

I said no such thing.

As a 25+ year veteran of the telecommunications, online hosting and electronic mail system and product design and commercial product manufacturer, it is ridiculous to suggest that none of this will work because there is the obvious potential of bad people sending non-compliant data.

From the get-go, I thought the idea of trying to address all possible blatant malicious abuse of mail is ridiculous - see my "Price of Rice" message. And your particular input in regards to resending mail as "me" is no different. As long as you don't alter the originality, I don't see that as a problem. If you intend to break it, then you have to be able to taken into account the "new considerations." In my book, this would be a "Feature" to stop you from resending my mail in an altered state.

Now, I also said in more ways than one, provided we have a x822 compliant message, there is no flaw in the concept of SSP looking up multiple From: co-author domains. I even provided some technical automating ideas to work with it. I see that as a "no-brainer" and I think most programmers/developers will agree with me.

But I also indicated this is typically an issue or question of overhead and redundancy and we all know this can be controlled in the same way other technology or protocols has placed practical limitations in general in many aspects of the protocol; line limits, spaces or no spaces, etc, including DNS clients with its limits and more SPF with its recursive limits which is the closest facsimile for this concern.

All and all, this all is really about implementation and completely unrelated to the basic fundamental SSP protocol. But I am one that believes that implementation guidelines and insights should be part of the functional and technical specification whichever you wish to call an RFC.

So sure, I am happy we have respective people like Ned finally around to provide input which I sincerely hope helps bring back some practical sanity in all this.

--
Sincerely

Hector Santos, CTO
http://www.santronics.com