[ietf-dkim] Issue 1550 - the name of the document (remains open *briefly*); there's still,disagreement on "Author"

2008-03-11 11:23:38
Largely to repeat what I said at the mic, yesterday:

The switch from SSP to ASP was the simplest possible change that modified the
semantics of the name to be tailored to the From field, as it needs to be.

That said, I think that Pete's desire for an even more precise name, which is
thereby less subject to any misinterpretation, is worth considering.  I'm not
sure it's important to change the name further, but I think that considering
his
concern is worthwhile, if only to force us to make sure we have community
agreement on the nature, scope, whatever of this work:

I take Pete's concern as basically being that the published record is by the
domain cited in the From field, rather than by the user (full email address.)

He's right.  So ADSP (Author Domain Signing Practices) would be semantically
better.  Since people are saying "ASP" as letters, rather than a pseudo-word,
"ADSP" isn't worse in terms of aesthetics.

And as I noted, if folk want the name to be pronounceable, From Domain Signing
Practices (frodosip) might satisfy the requirement...

d/
--

   Dave Crocker
   Brandenburg InternetWorking