Re: [ietf-dkim] Issue 1535 - clarify need for domain existence check in the decision tree (step 2)

2008-03-11 12:09:19

On Mar 11, 2008, at 11:16 AM, Dave Crocker wrote:

Again, to repeat what I said at the mic:

The current, 3-step procedure is certainly an improvement, however I
do not
understand the need for the second step, in terms of ASP
functionality.

In any early discussion of this, I believe Jim said he thought it
was a
carry-over from an earlier version of the spec where the need was
more clear.

In any event, I think the current question is:  What is it about ASP
-- as
opposed to concerns outside of ASP's scope -- that requires checking
for domain
existence?

Avoiding domain tree walking compatible with wildcards w/o depending
on wildcards.
  a) MX mandate in conjunction with DKIM Policy
     - an empty TXT records can disavow DKIM/SMTP.
     - empty TXT records compatible with wildcard TXT records used by
other protocols.
     - empty wildcard TXT records compatible with TXT records used by
other protocols.
     - consumes smallest amount of DNS cache.
     - improves positive caching rates.
     - provides much stronger domain protection.
     - becomes much simpler when MX is required by SMTP.

  b) domain tree walk-up
     - results indeterminate when wildcards are in use.
     - exposes parent domains to a high volume of transactions
dependent upon negative
       caching.
     - imposes expectation of policy to override possible parent
domain assertions.

-Doug