Re: [ietf-dkim] New Issue: note on figure in overview draft

2008-03-12 12:32:44
John Levine wrote:
At the end of section 5, just before the header 5.1 (page 15 of the txt
version) it says:

   Note:  Figure 1 does not show the effects on the message handling
      when multiple signatures or non-author signatures are present.

By my reading, fig 1 covers all signatures, single, multiple, author,
or otherwise, e.g., in the figure it says Verify Signatures with
Signatures in the plural.

Suggested fix: delete the note.

I'm still having a little trouble with Figure 1.  The box that says
"Verify Signatures" has a "pass" and "fail" output; does that mean "one
or more signatures pass", "all signatures pass", or what?

This might be addressed by following "verify signatures" with a decision
box that says "Valid signatures?" with outputs "none" and ">= 1".  This
might even replace the "Message signed?" decision box.

I had been thinking it would be nice to have a decision box to see if
the valid signatures are author signatures for all authors, but I'm OK
if that is lumped into "Assess Signer" (which should really be "Assess
Signer(s)").

Also please note that Eric's comment on terminology in the Section 5
intro (with which I agree) applies to Figure 1 as well.

-Jim