Re: [ietf-dkim] protecting domains that don't exist

2008-04-16 06:53:43
departmental mail exchangers, but I doubt the admins for that domain will
relish the task of creating ADSP reecords for each of them (machines can
be added and removed on an almost daily basis).

I wouldn't relish it either, but I don't see why the preferences of
lazy DNS admins should be a guiding design principle.  If they can add
and remove A records, why can't they add and remove ADSP records,
particularly since the process of managing the ADSP records can
presumably be completely automated?  Or if they don't care enough to
manage the ADSP records, why is that our problem rather than their
problem?

Fortunately, this tree is only one level deep, so the 1-level trick
built into our current draft will cope.

That's nice, but there are places where they're more than one level
deep and the current hack doesn't work.  What then?  That's the sorta
kinda issue, it only works in some cases and when it doesn't work, you
lose.

But those wildcard problems have not gone away. AIUI, if MX records exist
they are solvable (so cs.man.ac.uk would be OK).

No, if you have a wildcard MX, there's no way to cover the domains with
ADSP unless you use a stunt DNS server.

R's,
John