Re: [ietf-dkim] draft-levine-dkim-adsp-00

2008-05-24 09:55:20
On Sat, May 24, 2008 at 10:57 AM, Eliot Lear <lear(_at_)cisco(_dot_)com> wrote:
For the record, I think this is a bad idea, as it forces more steps to
bringing us to closuNow we will have people posting issues on a
replacement draft.  It also circumvents the issue tracking that has
taken place.   I also find it remarkable, sad, and offensive to other
authors that a co-author of the working group draft couldn't  get alone
either with his fellow authors or use the working group process to
propose changes he would like, but instead went backroom dealing.

I have to agree with Eliot here. I'm disappointed by the private
sausage making party.

* don't try to define our own existence check, but do make ADSP apply only
   to domains that exist

AND this is not what the working group has agreed upon AND it is poor
protocol design to underspecify a behavior.  In general this approach
that you folks are taking leads to interoperability problems and
inexplicable behavior.  Taken to extreme one could simply define the
ADSP record format.  What we are left with now is some vague hope that
people will be able to intuit anomalous behavior based on what software
is running on the recipient's end.  We have experience with that in the
browser world.  I don't care to recreate such a fiasco.  Do you?

Arvel suggested a straw poll regarding whether or not the NXDOMAIN
check should be removed or not. Along with him, I would like to know
what the numbers are for both sides in this debate. I strongly second
his request.

I think that might be a bit better than just publishing a new draft
spec with it yanked out, based on a small subset of participants only,
based on a back room deal.

Regards,
Al Iverson

--