Re: [ietf-dkim] General Feedback loop using DKIM

2009-05-26 23:18:14

----- "Steve Atkins" <steve(_at_)wordtothewise(_dot_)com> wrote:

On May 26, 2009, at 5:15 PM, Franck Martin wrote:

It is also very heavy to have a FBL program this is why only a few
ESPs offer feedback loops. I'm not sure it is something feasible for
an organisation with a substantial number of users, like
universities or small ISPs.

There are two difficult and/or expensive parts to offering a feedback
loop. They are the development costs of implementing some sort of UI
to capture feedback from the user (easier on webmail platforms, but
still not trivial) and the ongoing support costs of managing a
relationship with the senders who receive your feedback loop reports.

Compared to those two I suspect that working out where to send a
report, and actually sending it, are much cheaper parts of the system.

Well you define the 2 difficulties:
1) Development costs of implementing a UI
2) Relationship with the sender

1) if there is a standard, developpers can implement it in MUA and MTA so they
are compatible. say MUA forward the complete email to a special mailbox on the
MTA, and the MTA process it. Not sure if it is a valid/possible implementation,
but that one that comes to mind.
2) if properly DKIM validated then there would be no need to define an out of
band relationship with the sended. DKIM with a special protocol should be able
to establish an inband relationship. Sender puts in the email that is wants to
receive FBL, reciever evaluates if the sender request is valid and then process
it.

May be I should move this thread in ASRG? As dkim would provide
validation/trust but not everything.

Overall, the list-unsubscribe processing could not be done, because we could
not trust any of the email headers until we had a trust mechanism with DKIM.