Re: [ietf-dkim] Issue: Deployment Guide Section 6.1/6.5 (ADSP/Forwader) conflict

2009-10-16 14:08:48
Ian Eiloart wrote:

That seems sensible to me. So lists should not forward email that they're
about to render 'discardable' by breaking the signature. Instead, they
should reject (5xx) or bounce (DSN) the message. Presumably, a bank wants
to know if it has a bad email address for a customer.

Yep.

Of course, if you
aren't going to break the signature, or are rewriting the From: address,
then it's OK to forward the email.

Probably.

Oh, and if the list sees incoming mail
already has a broken signature, or none at all, then it should be discarded
by the list software (or its MTA).

Yep.

The treatment of email with authors in a domain with 'dkim=discardable'
policy seems absolutely straightforward. What's more complicated is the
treatment of email with authors in a domain with 'dkim=all' policy. There's
no guidance about handling such mail.

Agreed; we need more operational experience here.

--
J.D. Falk
Return Path Inc